Ok, so your book manuscript is well underway. It is time to start planning. Where and how should an INDIE author advertise, promote, and market on the internet?
This is a quick kick starter for those who want to be an INDIE author can put in sweat equity and want to self-publish. Let’s start with the toughest thing first.
- Reviews are hard to get. So the sooner you start planning to get reviews the better. Amazon has very strict rules, don’t give away free books to get reviews. Your reviews will be taken down.
- Start attracting reviews and readers with a Cover Reveal, with a one-sentence book synopsis. Ask for input back on social media. Add a preorder link from Amazon.
- A quick Peek Excerpt Promote your Book Blurb, with an excerpt or spotlight feature.
- Author Interview / Character Interview
- Guest Posts
- Giveaways to attract reviews… This won’t work as Reviewers needs to purchase the book to review it on Amazon.
- Facebook Promoting a Family friendly book. Announce your book on your Facebook page if it is worthy of friends and family. set up a Book page.
- Organic (non-paid) promotions will struggle to reach people beyond your friends and family on Facebook. Facebook wants you to advertise.
- Join Groups to build the buzz. Engage with a group in your area of expertise or book genera.
- Maximize reach by understanding and utilizingFacebook’ss algorithm. On January 11th, 2018, Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook would be changing its News Feed algorithm to prioritize content from “friends, family, and groups.”
“As we roll this out,” Zuckerberg wrote, “You’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard—it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.” Check out Hootsuite’s guide to Facebook organic reach.
Top ranking factors for the Facebook algorithm:
- Comment Replies
- Sharing links over Messenger to a group of friends
- Engagement on shares
Improve Your Engagement on Facebook with these incites by Steven Rayson on Buzzsum
- The Post formats that get the most engagement are questions and images.
- Short form text posts of less than 50 characters get the most interaction. Facebook is not a place for reading but finding and engaging.
- Fresh content Videos that are directly embedded get over six times the engagement of embedded YouTube videos.
- Don’t use hashtags. Posts without hashtags get more interaction than posts with hashtags.
- Publish when the content is slow. Posts published between 8-9 pm have the best interaction consistently. Understand your targeted audience’s lifestyle and zig when others zag.
- Posts published on Sunday get more engagement on average. Again, this seems due to less competition from other posts. We have noticed this is not the case on Twitter, which suggests people are looking for more meaning full content.
- Posts a short one-sentence synopsis and link to longer form articles over 1,000 words get the most engagement. This lets your audience chose to follow the link.
- Post your images via Instagram to increase engagement by 23%.
Watch what works on your social media channels and utilize your own media experience.
- Promoting a professional book. If your book is a professional book announce it on your LinkedIn. Join targeted groups on LinkedIn where your targeted readers gather. Set up a webinar series to promote your book online. Utilize your network and encourage reviews and criticism
- Book Launches do they work? Some do, and some don’t. Don’t be fooled by the promise of Being an Amazon bestseller when your book is placed in some bizarre category that no one will search for.
- Book blog tours don’t sell Books. It is a marketing networking activity, just like the classic book signing and reading. Remember the first rule of networking People buy People they trust.
- Book Promotions before you shell out all your hard-earned cash or mortgage your house read The Authors Guide to Book Promotions.
- Do you need a twitter page? Twitter is like shouting in the wind. Consider your content and search for the place your readers will gather. If you want to spread news quickly use hashtags to double and triple reach.
- Join Goodreads this is where you can attract people to read your books and encourage them to give you reviews.
- Join The Independent Author Network (IAN) a community of authors who are self-published or published by a small indie press. IAN promotes authors to more than 570,000 Twitter followers and 120,000 Facebook fans.
- Promoting to other Authors is not going to get you sales. Authors are gathered in all corners of social media. Look for your targeted clients.
“Contact Us for a FREE Website Analysis.”
Give us a call: 303-362-0498
Watch out for Part 3 next week.
We Announce a new update to The Authors Guide To Amazon.
We Cover Amazon promotions and much more.
Peter Lucking is the author of the Author’s Guide To Amazon. A how-to illustrated guide to jump Start Your Amazon Marketing covering all aspects of Amazons benefits for Authors. This guide will be updated in 2019.
- How to Publish Your First INDIE eBook or Book FREE. Part 1
- Activate Your Brand
- 30 Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before You Start Refreshing Your Website
- Refreshing your Architectural Website?
- Thought Leadership, Copywriting, Branding for the Construction Industry
Content Branding Solutions – Publishing and Editorial Services
B2B Copywriting Content Copywriter Attraction Marketing Copywriting Architectural Copywriting Content Marketing Copywriting Online Copywriting Content Writing Services Website Copy Social Media Press Releases Marketing Materials for the Design and Construction industry.
We provide Publishing Services with our sister Company Real Magic Design
Download Content Branding Solutions Copywriting and Services Pricing Guide
Seven Marketing Trends and Predictions for Staying Connected to Your Customers
The Top Marketing B2B Tactics
Copywriting Essentials for Marketing Success
Fee Ranges for Copyrighting, Images, and Coaching